More People Calling Out Sick Than Ever Before
We have all wanted to call into work and take a sick day when we were actually feeling fine, well research shows it is not actually happening.
A new survey by CareerBuilder reveals that 38% of employees have called out sick when they were feeling just fine. That's up from 28% last year. Other findings:
- 27% of employees have lied and said they had a doctors appointment when they really didn't.
- 26% of people have called out sick just so they could relax.
- 21% of people have called out sick just so they could catch up on sleep
- most popular months for calling out sick: December (20%), January (15%) and February (14%)
- 9% of employees have faked being sick during the holidays.
- 21% of people have called out sick just so they could go holiday shopping
- 22% of employers have fired an employee for calling out sick with a fake excuse. That's up from 18% last year
- 67% of employers ask to see a doctor's note when someone calls out sick
- 32% of employers will check an employee's social media account after they call out sick
I am so glad at my work when I ask for a Paid Time Off day (PTO) no questions are asked, most times you get the time off. I guess my job isn't so bad after all. :)