At around 9:25 a.m. on Monday, Missoula Police Officers responded to a report of a domestic disturbance at a residence in the 1800 block of South 9th Street West. When they arrived, they made contact with the two females who were involved. One woman was visibly upset with tears and trembling speech. Police Public Information Officer Travis Welsh explains.

“The officers learned that the two were in a relation, had been living together, and had been arguing that morning in regard to relationship issues,” Welsh said. “At one point, the victim left the residence and came back a short time later. The suspect, who by now had been identified as 25-year-old Cheyenne Mitchell, grabbed her by the throat with both hands and limited or restricted her ability to breathe.”

The victim said the strangulation lasted two or three seconds. One officer noticed general redness on her neck and another officer later observed petechiae in her eye. The victim said she immediately left the residence after she was strangled. However, Mitchell followed her and picked her up to take her back inside.

“As the two women were grappling, Mitchell then bit the victim on the neck and struck her two or three times in the face before they were able to separate,” Welsh said. “Mitchell was placed under arrest for partner or family member assault and strangulation.”

The victim pointed to a location on her left cheek, where the officer observed a one-inch long arc of intermittent indentations that were red in color and consistent with a row of teeth.

Court documents indicate Mitchell told an officer she was not certain if she grabbed the victim’s neck or if she bit her. She said that she had been “half asleep” during the events, which is why she could not remember. She also expressed concern for the victim’s welfare during the interview, asking if she was alright.

Mitchell was charged with felony strangulation and misdemeanor partner or family member assault.

50 Famous Brands That No Longer Exist

More From 94.9 KYSS FM