MCPS Offering Free Meals for Kids Under 18 Through December 31st
School has always been such a structured and regimented program. It's been interesting to see schools adapting on the fly as kids return to class in our current state of the pandemic. Parents are facing the difficulties of having to work while their children are forced to attend school virtually from home. I can imagine that creates a scheduling headache for many. So here's a pat on the back for all of the parents, teacher, students, and everyone else involved in attempting to make the school day seem as normal as possible. It's definitely a tall task.
One thing that might put parents a bit at ease in these crazy times is knowing that there is lunch options available if needed. A waiver from the US Department of Agriculture and the Summer Food Service Program is enabling Missoula County Public Schools to offering free meals to all kids under 18 until the end of the year. The free lunch applies to all, including those that are homeschooled, attend private schools, and participate in online learning.
The MCPS website has the following info about the program:
Meals will be free through December 31, 2020.
- Meals provided in schools will still include a hot option.
- Students will still need to provide their lunch number when ordering lunch during the school day. This is only to help us with our tracking, this will NOT charge the student’s account.
- Grab and go meals will include breakfast along with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a deli sandwich option.
- Grab and go meals are available at each school site to:
- Students on remote learning days (including Mondays)
- Students attending the MCPS Online Academy
- Any youth under 18 - even homeschooled and private school students
- Anyone can pick up meals on behalf of a student
Meal Pick Up Locations and Times
Pick Up Location
Pick Up Times
|Chief Charlo Elementary||Front Office||10 a.m. - 12 p.m.|
|Franklin Elementary||Front Office||10 a.m. - 11 a.m.|
Main Entrance (550 Hiberta St)
|10 a.m. - 11 a.m.|
|Jeannette Rankin Elementary||Front Office (Park in Bus Lane)||11 a.m. - 1 p.m.|
|Lewis and Clark Elementary||Cafeteria Door (NW corner - Benton Ave.)||9 a.m. - 10 a.m.|
|Lowell Elementary||Front Office||9 a.m. - 2 p.m.|
Kitchen Door (Back entrance on Hastings Ave.)
|10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.|
|Rattlesnake Elementary||Outside Front Office||10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.|
|Russell Elementary||Front Foyer||10 a.m. - 11 a.m.|
|CS Porter Middle School|
|9 a.m. - 10 a.m.|
|Meadow Hill Middle School||Front Office||9 a.m. - 10 a.m.|
|Washington Middle School||Front Office||8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.|
|Big Sky High School||Front Entrance (secure vestibule)|
Monday: 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.
Tuesday - Friday: 10 a.m. - 10 :30 a.m.
|Hellgate High School|
|12:15 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.|
|Seeley-Swan High School||Side Cafeteria Door||10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.|
|Sentinel High School||Sentinel Cafeteria|
9:45 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
|Willard Alternative High School Program||Front Door||11 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.|