Early Morning Fire Sends Missoula Man to Idaho for Treatment
Missoula Fire Department crews were dispatched to an apartment complex in the 700 block of Turner Street for smoke coming out of a second story window.
Fire Marshall Dax Fraser described what happened.
“We responded over there and there was a single room origin fire,” said Fraser. “The victim, a male, was overcome by the smoke in the bedroom. The guys put the fire out and dragged him out of the building. He’s on his way to Idaho now for treatment. They have a regional center in Idaho Falls that deals with fire victims.”
Fraser said the fire was on the second floor of the apartment complex.
“There was not a lot of damage to the unit. It was a mattress fire so there was just smoke damage and there was very little structural damage. The poor guy that was in there was evidently asleep when it started and he sustained some minor burns. He wasn’t right in it, but he was unable to get out of the room.”
The victim was first sent to St. Patrick Hospital, but was then transferred to Idaho Falls for specialized treatment. There were no other injuries.
The fire department responded with four engines, 12 firefighters, a Battalion Chief, and the Fire Marshall.
The estimated damage to the structure was about $5,000, however, because the fire was in an apartment complex, the damage could have exceeded $500,000.