The Montana Highway Patrol says the trooper that was hurt during a high-speed chase of a suspect near Eureka Thursday is now in serious but stable condition at the hospital in Kalispell.

MHP reported over the weekend that Trooper Lewis Johnson had been struck by the suspects' car while outside his patrol car helping with the apprehension. Johnson had joined Lincoln County Sheriff's deputies, a warden from Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, and a Border Patrol agent in attempting to stop the suspect, after he fled from deputies during an attempted traffic stop in Eureka.

The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office had said the chase continued down Highway 37 until the suspect was stopped southwest of Eureka along the western shore of Lake Koocanusa.

94.9 KYSS FM logo
Get our free mobile app

MHP also provided more details on Johnson's background, saying he's been with the Patrol for the past eight years and has been stationed out of Eureka.

The agency also offered an additional comment on the incident:

"The Montana Highway Patrol family is united in support of Trooper Lewis and his family. He remains in our prayers. We are thankful for the outpouring of support we've received from Montanans and the law enforcement community during this time," MHP Colonel Steve Lavin

A GoFundMe drive has been set up for Trooper Lewis and his family and had already raised over $146,000 by Monday morning. A post on the page said Lewis was being treated for "a punctured lung, damaged liver, head injury, broken ribs, broken arm, broken leg, and severe spinal trauma."

Meanwhile, the suspect in the case has already made his first court appearance. KPAX TV was reporting that 41-year-old Jason Allen Miller was in court Friday to answer charges on his outstanding warrants. Investigators are looking into additional criminal charges.

21 Unique Courses at the University of Montana

Here are 21 unique courses that I bet you didn't know were offered at the University of Montana.

More From 94.9 KYSS FM