Just before 1:00 a.m. Wednesday, Missoula police responded to the report of a disturbance between a male and a female at a residence in the 1000 block of Vine Street. When the officers arrived, the male was already gone. However, Police Public Information Officer Travis Welsh says officers made contact with the female victim.

“She reported that she and her boyfriend, who she identified as 26-year-old Conor Jones, had been out for the evening,” Welsh said. “On their way home, they decided to stop at a grocery store for some food. After doing so, they were on their way home when something occurred that caused an emotional outburst from the male who began taking it out on his girlfriend by physically striking her while they were in the car.”

According to Welsh, the incident escalated when the couple returned home.

“He reached around her, opened the door, and pushed her out of his car as they sat in front of her residence,” Welsh said. “She gathered herself. He got out of the car and met her on the other side. He continued to assault her. At one point, she reported that he ‘choked her’ before leaving the scene.”

Welsh says the officers observed marks on the female that were consistent with her account of what had happened. Officers began looking for Mr. Jones.

“At about 2:00 a.m., MPD received a phone call from Mr. Jones who acknowledged the disturbance and agreed to meet with an officer to provide a statement,” Welsh said. “The officers made contact with him at a residence in the 1800 block of Phillips Street. They took his statement and then took him into custody.”

According to court documents, Mr. Jones admitted to getting in a physical altercation with the female. He denied strangling her, but said he held her to the ground. Mr. Jones stated he was defending himself against the woman’s attack.

A Missoula Police Department detective interviewed Mr. Jones later that day. Mr. Jones admitted to the detective that he had placed his left hand around the woman’s neck in an effort to cause her pain and let up when he realized she couldn’t breathe. Mr. Jones again stated that he was trying to defend himself from the attack by the woman.

Mr. Jones was charged with one count of felony strangulation.