Tips to Keep Your Dog Cool
Tuesday was the hottest day so far this year. We humans are lucky we can cool off by sweating, the most natural way. But how about our pets, dogs specifically. Their major way to cool off is by panting. Here are some tips to keep your dog cool;
- Fresh, Cool Water- It is essential that you keep fresh, cool water available to your dog at all times. In hot weather, this is even more crucial. Make sure you keep the water dish in a shady location and change the water frequently.
- Shelter from the Sun- The best thing is to offer shelter. Shade from trees is nice, but not perfect. An actual structure is better. Consider getting an insulated dog house, but make sure it is large and well-ventilated. Alternatively, you might put up an open-air tent or canopy. If possible, put the shelter in a shady area to keep it extra-cool.
- Pools for Cooling- If your dog loves water, then a large tub or kiddie pool (molded plastic, not inflatable) might be a great addition to your yard. You can find tubs or pools at most home stores. Many dogs enjoy playing and lounging in the cool water. Just make sure you supervise your dog at all times. Also, keep the pool in a shady spot and change the water frequently.
- Remember that dogs cool themselves primarily by panting, so cooler air is the best way to prevent and relieve overheating. No matter what you do to keep your dog cool, the best thing you can do is to keep a close eye on her. When in doubt, get her to a cooler area. Be sure to contact your vet immediately if you notice signs of heat stroke.
- NEVER EVER LEAVE THEM IN A VEHICLE!