Recycling in Missoula Tips and FAQs
1. What are some facts about recycling of which the community may not be aware?
ANSWER: • Did you know that recycling one automobile conserves 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone? In partnership with their customers, they recycle tens of thousands of automobiles each year.
• Recycling one automobile saves the energy equivalent of 500 gallons of gasoline. Annually, with community support, they conserve over a million gallons of this precious resource.
• Recycling aluminum saves 95% of the energy needed to make new aluminum (including bauxite ore and electricity). With local backing, they recycle tens of millions of pounds of aluminum per year.
Beyond energy savings, there are equally significant environmental savings as well, including air emissions, water pollution, water usage and mining waste generation: For example:
• Did you know that for every ton of recycled paper produced (in lieu of raw manufacturing), over 50 pounds of pollution effluent is kept out of the air? Pacific Recycling recycles over 5000 tons of fibers per year (in 2012 they shipped around 2000 tons of paper & 3700 tons of cardboard).
• Utilizing scrap steel (in lieu of raw manufacturing) reduces CO2 emissions by 58% and reduces water-related wastes by nearly 70%. Annually, with community support, they recycle hundreds of thousands of tonnage of ferrous scrap metal.
• Copper mining wastes constitute the largest quantity of metal mining and processing wastes in the United States. With local backing, they help to eliminate these wastes by recycling over a million pounds of copper per year.
2. What items can I recycle?
ANSWER: At Pacific, they handle both consumer and commercial recycling, so they’ll take everything from aluminum cans and cardboard to heavier items like steel and iron.
Many of their branch locations feature drive-though recycling for everyday consumers and have out-job equipment to handle bigger projects that their customers may need them to help with. In some locations, they may be able to come to you and use their equipment to help you clean up some scrap. For availability of out-job services and roll-off containers, give them a call!
- Stainless Steel
- Catalytic Converters
- Car Batteries
- Scrap Iron
- Sheet Metal
- #1 and #2 Plastics
- Steel Cans
- Colored Bottles
- White Ledger
- Office Mix
- Magazines and Catalogs
- Electronics – Contact local branch for additional information
3. When and where can I recycle?
ANSWER: Pacific Recycling is staffed Monday-Friday 8 to 5 & Saturday 8-1 or 24/7 Drop Off Well-Lit Drop Off Station. Located at 2600 Latimer in Missoula you can find them 1 block behind Target. If you have a question about how to recycle specific items please call. An employee will be happy to help.