Healthy Dessert Recipe – Swag Bars
We could all use a little swagger. You know a little strut in our step? Some of you are probably, or hopefully, accomplishing that this year by resolving to eat healthier. I always try to eat healthy, but sometimes it’s hard to find a delicious HEALTHY, dessert. However, I found just that in these little bars of goodness. Here’s an even more exciting fact – there is absolutely, positively zero baking involved!
- 1 3/4 cups creamy peanut butter (I prefer the Organic Adam’s No-stir Peanut Butter)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light colored corn syrup (I know this ingredient has a bad rap, but just Google it. There are more and more sources that are proving that this substance is not so bad after all.
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) chopped, lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 1/2 cups (4 ounces) whole-grain cereal (such as Total), finely crushed
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) chopped, dark chocolate (I like to buy a bar of high-quality chocolate, instead of cooking chocolate.
- Combine first three ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 4 minutes, or just until mixture begins to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in peanuts and cereal. Spread the mixture evenly into a 13x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Instead of cooking spray, I like to use my Misto Mister. It’s a reusable sprayer that you can refill with your own oil – typically olive oil. You can find them for $10 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
- Place the dark chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 1, minute or until the chocolate melts, stirring every 20 seconds. Drizzle chocolate evenly over peanut mixture. Cut it into 36 bars while warm.
I know, I know. I’m awesome. You’re welcome! I’m sure this isn’t a secret family recipe, but I found this recipe in my grandmother’s recipe book. She had it filed under “healthy,” but being that she probably found the recipe decades ago, she didn’t include any nutrition facts. Also considering she grew up in the south, she naturally only had two recipes in the “healthy” section. On that note, she has very good taste, so I doubt you will be disappointed! Enjoy!